Saturday, January 8, 2011

Review Grab Bag #2

As promised. exploring the "would rather rant on a bunch of things for a line than rant on a thing for a bunch of lines" world. Don't worry though, reviews are lined up:

AC/DC: if you want blood...
Animal Collective: strawberry jam

for the 15th and Feb. first respectively
-----

Best Coast: Crazy For You
Fucking Depressing. Used to sound fun, now just one long whine.

Stereolab: Not Music
Naming your last album "Not Music" is probably the only way Stereolab could become any more badass

Tame Impala: Innerspeaker
Australia, Rock'n'Roll's eternal underdog

Thee Oh Sees: Warm Slime
Best record of the year for its type, but remember that garage is only one letter away from garbage

Titus Andronicus: The Monitor
I'm not a big fan of New Jersey, except when I see records like this come out of it. Ignore the lyrics, these kids reconvened Arcade Fire-esque melodies with punk.

Tobacco: Mystic Thickness (CD-R)
More of the same. YES PLEASE

Torche: Songs For Singles
Doompopsterstothemax

Vampire Weekend: Contra
Nowhere near as good as the first, still pretty damn enjoyable

Ventura: We Recruit
Where do I sign up?

Watain: Lawless Darkness
to do #293: listen to more black metal or death metal. Whichever it is.

Wavves: King Of The Beach
cf. Best Coast, except this time you don't wonder "who's the long haired asian on the side of the picture?"

White Hills: S/T
I knew I wasn't the only one who wanted to sound like Hawkwind

Yamon Yamon: This Wilderness
Foresty Neu!. Get your beverage of choice, something to stare at and anything to lie on for a bit.

Beach House: Teen Dream
I still am only barely able to remember more than the first song off that album.

Brian Jonestown Massacre: anything by them ever
In the category of 60's revivalism for its own sake, these guys win the palm. Plus, Anton Newcombe is a blast to hear about - Dig! is probably the best music documentary since Spinal Tap, except this time, it's real.

Broken Social Scene: Forgiveness Rock Record
Forget the record, go get a ticket. WORTH IT

2 comments:

  1. Ok no. No no no.

    Best Coast: still best album of the year.

    Beach House: takes long hours of patient immersion, but reveals back layers of melancholy wonder.

    Brian Jonestown Massacre: the most embarrassingly pathetic band I've ever seen live, ever, and nothing more than a pleasant (usually, not always) distraction on album.

    Vampire Weekend: did you mean, "Even better than an already stupendous debut"? I thought so.

    And how - or why - does one ignore the lyrics to The Monitor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best Coast: I grew up on AC DC. I just can't like this album as much as I like King of The Beach.

    Beach House: maybe. I'm not saying its a bad album. I'm just saying Zebra is still the only song by them I remember off the top of my heaf.

    BJM: definitely barely more than pleasant, not a band I'd see live either. Anton's like an addict fuzzy eternally doomed character who makes me laugh a lot

    VW: autotune. Their debut is fucking awesome, but I'd rather have them use reverb than fucking autotune on their follow up. Which is still good. very good

    Titus' record is really great. The lyrics really appeal to me, but I totally get how someone would be unimpressed by them. David (who I stole the grab bag concept from) was really vehement about that, and that was adressed to that kind of criticizer

    ReplyDelete