Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Allmusic

Looking for new music is an activity that has recently reached the stage of unhealthy obsession, and the internet seriously didn't help.

I have to admit that it started nicely. The (very famous) music listening program (that doesn't fall far from the tree) I use has a built browser that allows easy access to review and biographies, which include lists of similar artists. I don't remember which countless bands were discovered during nights of music exploration, but there were definitely many and I don't regret any hour that I wasted on there.

But like anything in this entire universe, AyToons has some obvious problems. The main one, for me, was the absence of any AC/DC information. There, at the bottom of each review, each biography, I thought I had found the culprit: Allmusic.

How could something pretending to cover all music not have AC/DC? 

The answer to this futile question doesn't really matter. The important part is that this led me to allmusic. 

This website is evil. Beautifully evil. Reviews are long, links are numerous, exploration endless. They do give arbitrary ratings to the music, but  I have to admit I've mostly agreed with them over the years (mostly). They cover, well, all music (try to guess what allmovie & allgame are about) and do a pretty good job at it. Articles are sometimes interesting, and their news selection is honest, but that's not really what they're there for. They're there to expand your musical horizons - like that other guy would say, to infinity and beyond. 


Well that was mildly interesting. I said I'd write this though, so here it is. Maybe I'll change it soon.

JNCT


...

No comments:

Post a Comment